Thursday 20 August 2015

Shoulder bag making

I recently made little purses and clutches with luxurious Scottish linen. Then I experimented to make one of them into a shoulder bag with a leather strap. I got the basic principle from a friend and bought hole cutter, rivets and natural leather strips from a local leather merchant. I made some leather washers first to test out the cutter. Massive whack with a mallet on our kitchen table but it only made a little impression onto the leather! It was actually not as easy as I thought but eventually I managed cut through nice little holes onto 4 washers, 4 holes onto strap, 4 holes onto a linen pouch. Then another sharp whacking to fix rivets onto strap and bag itself. I need to find out if it's better to use something like steel block or it will ruin the teeth of the die cutter? There must be a better way! Anyhow here's a end result which I'm really happy with. This is a very first sample I will use and see if there's anywhere I need to improve. So far it has been a perfect little bag to go out with, really hope my riveting will stand the test of time.




No comments:

Post a Comment